I assume you already have success booting directly into a RAID configuration
from a floppy disk.  If not, that would be a good thing to get working
before trying anything more complicated and will give you a backup process
in case your version of LILO doesn't do the entire job.

I have no experience with the Mandrake distribution; but like some others
including Redhat, I believe that it comes with a patched version of LILO and
probably also has the newer alpha RAID patches as well.

With the newer versions of LILO, you can include a line:
    boot=/dev/md0
in place of your existing reference to /dev/hda, then LILO will write the
boot loader to each drive in the RAID-1 array.

Even with this in place, you may not be able to boot your PC with the
primary hard drive (hda) missing or non-functional - that will depend on
your BIOS and IDE hardware.  In a failed IDE drive situation, one would
normally assume that the mirror drive would have to be physically
reconfigured to appear as HDA before you could boot directly from it.

Prior emails on the linux-raid mailing list have discussed this in detail,
you might search for it at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-raid@vger.rutgers.edu/

Rich Bollinger