I've been wonder how this would work for a while.

I know that the Linux kernel auto-detects the SCSI devices on boots
and assigns them

/dev/sda to the first one
/dev/sdb to the second one ...

and so on.

Doesn't this put a kink in your plans if you remove a disk physically
and then restart the system?  I mean, what if the failiure on the disk
is something like smoke coming out of the drive bay and the next time
you reboot the kernel doesn't even see the device?

Is there a way to hard code /dev/sda to Target ID N and /dev/sdb to
Target ID M so that in case N fails, your old /dev/sdb doesn't show up
as /dev/sda when you reboot?

The setup I'm envisioning is a 2.2.16 kernel with the latest patches,
a single SCSI bus with 2 hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration.  If it
makes a difference, the system will NOT boot from these disks.

Regards,
-Eric.