Hello,

I consider the current state of affairs with Software-RAID to be unbelievable.

1)  The current RAID-Howto (on www.linux.org) does not indicate the correct
    location of RAID patches.  I had to go searching all over the web to find
    the 2.2.16 RAID patch.
2)  The current 2.2.16 errata lists a problem with md.c which is fixed by the
    patch "2.2.16combo".
3)  The patch "2.2.16combo" FAILS if the RAID patch has already been applied.
    Ditto with the RAID patches to md.c if the 2.2.16combo patch has already
    been applied.
4)  The kernel help for all of the MD drivers lists a nonexistant
    Software-RAID mini-howto, which is supposedly located at
    ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini.  There is no such
    document at this location.
5)  The kernel help also does not make it clear that you even need a RAID
    patch with current kernels.  It is implied that if you "Say Y here" then
    your kernel will support RAID.  This problem is exacerbated by the missing
    RAID patches at the location specified in the actual Software-RAID-Howto.

So, I have the following questions.

1)  Do I need to apply the RAID patch to 2.2.16 or not?
2)  If I do, will it still broken unless I apply the "2.2.16combo" patch?
3)  If it will, then how do I resolve the problem with the md.c hunk failing
    with "2.2.16combo"?
4)  Is there someone I can contact who can update publically available
    documentation to make it easier for people to find what they're looking
    for?

This is a production system I am working on here.  I can't afford to have it
down for an hour or two to test a new kernel.  I'd rather not be working with
this mess to begin with, but unfortunately this box was purchased before I
started this job, and whoever ordered it decided that software raid was
"Good enough".

I am not subscribed to either list so CC's are desirable.  However if you
don't want to CC then you don't have to -- I'll just read the archives.