Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
The entire point of the rdma_getaddrinfo + AF_IB is to avoid hacking up
librdmacm for every address lookup/cache scheme someone invents
the entire simple point I am trying to make is that rdma_getaddrinfo + AF_INET is doable, is simple and is needed to keep up the essence of the rdma-cm. I don't see how AF_IB buys anything to anyone that but if you want to push it up as long as AF_INET is first and most supported/interoperable future/present go and add your bits. As you indicated the route lookup I was mentioning could be done in rdma_addrinfo, sure with &res including both source and destination addresses. No rdma_resolve_addr2 is needed the one that exists now has source addresses specified, I don't see that extra info is needed for AF_INET that was resolved with rdma_getaddrinfo is this AF_IB specific?

I don't see why the app should bother on calling rdma_getaddrinfo, it can be done by librdmacm with rdma_getaddrinfo having multiple modules as you suggested. I am in favor of the approach suggested by Sean of librdmacm either doing its native flow or under environment variable doing an alternative flow, where your suggestion not to have the 2nd flow being tightly coupled with ACM, e.g through using get_addrinfo abstraction and friends makes sense (yes!)

Or.