> I've implemented a newer interface (it's in the same set of patches),
 > but we've not yet converted over the userland.  The new interface is unit
 > and port specific.  It's not separate files per serdes setting, though.
 >
 > It takes a string with a default (global) index, followed by optional
 > unit and port-specific tuples, like this:
 >
 >      10 0,1=8 1,2=7 ...
 >
 > The newer interface has the values readable as well as writable.
 >
 > When we had stuff like this in the port-specific directories, people
 > dinged us on it.   We also had people who wanted to be able to set
 > it as a module parameter to modprobe  The newer interface is the
 > cable_atten module parameter, and it just selects an index into a table of
 > parameters in the driver.
 >
 > The new interface needs to have a table extended a bit more to replace
 > the setup_qme and setup_qmh functions (once again, time constraints for
 > our internal release cycles caused the incomplete implementation).
 >
 > Sorry for exposing all the ugliness.  If you see it as a serious issue,
 > we can try to accelerate the cleanup effort.

OK.  Yes, I do see this as a serious issue -- getting rid of the bogus
interface which is exposed as a user-visible interface is very painful
once we've merged it.  So I would really really prefer to just have the
good interface upstream.

We're probably ~1 week away from 2.6.34 final, and the merge window will
be two weeks after that.  So if you could get some form of this finished
in the next 3 weeks, that would be the best way to merge qib.
--
Roland Dreier <rola...@cisco.com> || For corporate legal information go to: