On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 14:36 -0500, David Dillow wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 10:18 -0500, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> > I see, thanks for clarifying this out load and clear, so maybe you'll
> > first get the seven srp patches reviewed and merged, and only then see
> > if/what benefit this patch brings, I'm a little bit worried of
> > changing something below everyone's (srp, iser, rds, p9, nfs-rdma,
> > lustre, etc) legs which doesn't have any notable benefit, I would be
> > happy to hear others/opinions
>
> Well, I believe it only affects the block merging -- I have to catch a
> flight, so I cannot recheck right this moment -- that limits the effects
> to SRP and iSER. The others don't use it at all.

Ok, finally got a chance to look into this a bit further. The block
layer is the only direct user of it, though a few IOMMU drivers
reference it as well for their *_map_sg coalescing code. pci-gart_64 on
x86, and a smattering on on sparc, powerpc, and ia64.

Since other IB protocols could potentially see larger segments with
this, let's check those:

iSER is fine, because you limit your maximum request size to 512 KB, so
we'll never overrun the page vector in struct iser_page_vec (128 entries
currently). It is independent of the DMA segment size, and handles
multi-page segments already.

IPoIB is fine, as it maps each page individually, and doesn't use
ib_dma_map_sg().

RDS appears to do the right thing and has no dependencies on DMA segment
size, but I don't claim to have done a complete audit.

NFSoRDMA and 9p are OK -- they do not use ib_dma_map_sg(), so they
doesn't care about the coalescing.

Lustre's ko2iblnd does not care about coalescing -- it properly walks
the returned sg list.

I don't see anything that would have a problem with larger DMA segment
sizes; some of them would see small efficiency gains similar to SRP if
more small segments could be coalesced into fewer larger ones.
--
Dave Dillow
National Center for Computational Science