On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Woodruff, Robert J
<robert.j.woodr...@intel.com> wrote:
> Michael wrote,
>>For those of us that are not hardcore kernel developers can you
>>explain what this change would actually do?  I'm not sure i understand
>>how having a source tree with the patches already applied is any
>>different then taking the base kernel and applying a patch tree.  But
>>then again i probably don't understand what your talking about at all
>>(me == admin not developer).
>
> Well what I would like to understand is what would you like to see ?
>
> A tar ball or complete patch with the OFED drivers for each kernel that OFED
> supports
> that can be applied to the kernel tree so that the kernel can be built using
> the normal kernel build process ?
>
> Or
>
> A complete kernel tree with all of the OFED drivers already included that
> could be
> downloaded via tar balls or git ?
>
> Other ?

I'm not sure I'm really qualified to answer such a question (nor
whether i can write what i want to say legibly), but I'll take a stab
at it.

First off you should note i can only speak to redhat and rpmbuild
processes, we don't use sles or any other distro where i work (so my
answer is definitely biased).

For me personally, the only time I rebuild the kernel is when I have
to build a lustre server, which is not all that often.

The steps i take (in brevity) are:

unpack kernel source from redhat
edit spec file to include lustre patches
rebuild kernel rpms using rpmbuild (redhat process)
install new kernel
reboot into new kernel
use ofed install.pl -s /<lustre kernel tree>
install ofed rpms
reboot
make lustre source using --with-linux=<lustre kernel tree>
--with-o2ib=/usr/src/ofa_kernel

Even though I'm not really answering your question, I'm not sure the
change really makes any difference to me.  I can't really foresee a
need where i would want a full kernel tree versus patches.  I'm sure
scenario's exist where it would be beneficial to have one method over
the other, but for me i can't think of one.  I would hazard a guess
that the majority of people are in the same boat as me with kernel
rebuilds

nope, even sitting here racking my brain some more, i can't see a need
for a full kernel tree for me.  even if i was rebuilding the kernel
and kernel-ib sections i'd still want to use the redhat rpmbuild
process, which will patch vanilla 2.6.18 to 2.6.18-238, and then i'd
add whatever patches i needed to the end of rhel's patch tree just
like i did with lustre and let the spec file do all the work

i guess if i was an IB developer though, having a git tree of 2.6.18
with all the RHEL and IB patches applied to it would probably be handy
though.  i can only guess that having full git trees might make
porting patches to other kernel versions easier (not a dev don't
really know).  how do ports get created today? does each developer
have to basically create a kernel dev tree and test their patch
against it and see what breaks?

dunno if i helped or wasted everyone's time, but that's my two cents...