On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 02:42:33PM -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:

> I agree that it definitely is more appealing, if we have a 64-bit
> version of a counter, that we should just export that counter
> where we used to export the 32-bit version.

I think this falls under the 'undocumented, beware' API design.  This
interface isn't specified so exactly as to have set out how many bytes
are in the files and how many bits are in the numbers.

If you wrote a reader that can't handle a 20 byte integer with leading
zeros then your user space isn't following the API.

If your reader doesn't elegantly handle overflow to whatever type your
reader picked, then you aren't following the API.

There are many examples of the kernel tweaking APIs along this
undocumented axis, and theoritically the text-free-form nature of
sysfs is supposed to save us from having to worry about exactly this
sort of case.

And again, this is a useless interface in IB. IBoE is going to be
first real, serious, long term user, let's make it saner instead of
keeping it as is forever?