I'm trying to have N threads reading from the same completion channel, bounded to M completion queues. I would like to have N << M, and to ensure that only a single thread at time can call ibv_poll_cq() on a given queue, to process the events in the same order they were put in the queue.

I can't understand how to properly achieve this, since:
1- If I call ibv_req_notify_cq() before ibv_poll_cq(), I might end up with two
threads polling the same queue.
2- If I call ibv_req_notify_cq() after ibv_poll_cq(), I could end up with events in the cq not being notified in the channel (I read this on the IBTA 11.4.2.2, and I *think* I actually experienced this under load).

I can use option 1 with an additional lock before ibv_req_notify_cq(), but I would like to know if there is a simpler way which I can't see.

Thanks
Flavio