On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 08:02:52AM -0800, Mike Marciniszyn wrote:
> > Should whatever this issue is be a general PCI fixup? Like broken MSI,
> > etc.
> >
> Can you point me to some details on this?

I can explain the broken MSI stuff, as an example. As I noted I'm not
sure what you are working around here, but if there are limits imposed
on otherwise correct values in the PCI capabilities block then I think
it is broadly applicable to handle this in core code...

There are flags in pci.h like:

        PCI_BUS_FLAGS_NO_MSI   = (__force pci_bus_flags_t) 1,

Which are quirk things.. Look in drivers/pci/quirks.c to see how it is
set.

So broadly you'd make a new appropriate bus flag to control
whatever you are working around and then test and set it in quirks,
and provide core code to traverse the bus path from a device to ensure
nothing in the path sets that quirk.

Really depends what the problem actually is.