Hi,

I have discovered today the netmap project[1] through an ACM Queue
article[2].

Netmap is a new interface to send and receive packets through an
Ethernet interface (NIC). It seems to provide a raw access to network
interface in order to process packets at high rate with a low overhead.

This is an another example of "kernel-bypass"/"zero-copy" which are core
features of InfiniBand verbs/RDMA.

But unlike InfiniBand verbs/RDMA, Netmap seems to have a very small API.

Such API could be enough to build an unreliable datagram messaging
system on "low cost" hardware (without concerns of determinism, flow
control, etc.).

I'm asking myself if the way netmap exposes internal NIC rings could be
applicable for IB/IBoE HCA ? e.g. beyond 10GbE NIC, is netmap relevant ?

Regards.

[1] http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/

netmap - a novel framework for fast packet I/O
Luigi Rizzo Università di Pisa

[2] http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2103536

Revisiting Network I/O APIs: The netmap Framework
Luigi Rizzo, 2012-01-17

--
Yann Droneaud