I've incorporated most of the changes, but see below.

> > -EXTRA_DIST = src/acm_mad.h src/libacm.h \
> > -        linux/osd.h linux/dlist.h ibacm.spec.in $(man_MANS) acm_opts.cfg \
> > -        acm_addr.cfg
> > +EXTRA_DIST = src/acm_mad.h src/libacm.h ibacm.init \
> > +        linux/osd.h linux/dlist.h ibacm.spec.in $(man_MANS) ibacm_opts.cfg
> \
> > +        ibacm_addr.cfg
> > +
> > +install-exec-hook:
> > +   if ! test -d $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir); then \
> > +           mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir); \
> > +   fi; \
> > +   if ! test -d $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir)/rdma; then \
> > +           mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir)/rdma; \
> > +   fi; \
> > +   if ! test -d $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir)/init.d; then \
> > +           mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir)/init.d; \
> > +   fi; \
> > +   install -m 755 ibacm.init $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir)/init.d/ibacmd;
>
> I'm curious why you didn't just do install -D -m 755 ibacm.init
> $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir)/init.d/ibacmd instead of all the individual
> calls to mkdir.

ignorance on the existence of the '-D' option  :)

> > +PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
>
> I'm not very keen on including /usr/local in the search path on system
> binaries.  It can be done, but we would patch it out (and I imagine SuSE
> would too).  It's a support issue.  Having /usr/local override the
> system installed binaries means that you can end up with strange things
> happening, and support scratching their head and going "what the hell is
> causing that" and in the end it's because a different binary than the
> one RPM installed is actually running.

I create a .tar.gz package using 'make dist', copy it to another system, then
install it using 'configure && make install'.  When I do that, sysconfdir
defaults to /usr/local/etc, sbindir /usr/local/sbin, and bindir to
/usr/local/bin.  I added /usr/local to PATH, so that the init script would
work.  Otherwise I get a 'command not found' error when running the script.  On
a side note, my ibacm configuration files end up in /usr/local/etc/rdma.

To say that I'm not sure what autotools and the init scripts are doing is an
understatement...  The init script finds ibacm in /usr/sbin, but not
/usr/local/sbin where it ended up being installed.  I'm not sure how to fix
that.

- Sean