Hi again,

On 12/14/2012 10:17 AM, Jens Domke wrote:
> Hello Hal,
>
> thank you for the fast response. I will try to clarify some points.
>
>>>  d) OpenMPI runs are executed with "--mca
>>> btl_openib_ib_path_record_service_level 1"
>>
>> I'm not familiar with what DFSSSP does to figure out SLs exactly but
>> there should be no need to set this. The proper SL for querying the SA
>> for PathRecords, etc. is always in PortInfo.SMSL. In the case of DFSSSP
>> (and other QoS based routing algorithms), it calculates that and the SM
>> pushes this into each port. That should be used. It's possible that SL1
>> is not a valid SL for port <-> SA querying using DFSSSP.
> The OpenMPI parameter btl_openib_ib_path_record_service_level does not
> specify the SL for querying the PathRecords.
> It just enables the functionality. And the ompi processes use the
> PortInfo.SMSL to send the request.
> For the request "port -> SA" every 0<=SL<=7 was used in the test, and the SA
> received the requests.
>>
>>>  e) kernel 2.6.32-220.13.1.el6.x86_64
>>>
>>> As far as I understand the whole system:
>>>  1. the OMPI processes are sending MAD requests (SubnAdmGet:PathRecord) to
>>> the OpenSM
>>>  2. the SA receives the request on QP1
>>
>> There is the SL in the query itself. This should be the SMSL that the SM
>> set for that port.
> Hmm, there you might have a point. I think I saw that the query itself had
> SL=0 specified.
> In fact OpenMPI sets everthing to 0 except for slid and dlid.
>>
>>>  3. SA asks the routing algorithm (like LASH, DFSSSP or Torus_2QoS) about a
>>> special service level for the slid/dlid path
>>
>> This is a (potentially) different SL (for MPI<->MPI port communication)
>> than the one the query used and is the one returned inside the
>> PathRecord attribute/data.
> Yes, it can be different, but DFSSSP sets the same SL, because the SM is
> running on a port which is also used for MPI comm.

With DFSSSP are all SLs same from source port to get to any destination ?

>>>  4. SA sends the PathRecord back to the OMPI process via umad_send in
>>> libvendor/osm_vendor_ibumad.c
>>
>> By the response reversibility rule, I think this is returned on the SL
>> of the original query but haven't verified this in the code base yet.
> Ok, I was not aware of that rule. But if this is true, then the SA should
> also be able to send via SL>0.

I doubled checked and indeed the SA response does use the SL that the
incoming request was received on.

>>> The osm_vendor_send() function builds the MAD packet with the following
>>> attributes:
>>>        /* GS classes */
>>>        umad_set_addr_net(p_vw->umad, p_mad_addr->dest_lid,
>>>                          p_mad_addr->addr_type.gsi.remote_qp,
>>>                          p_mad_addr->addr_type.gsi.service_level,
>>>                          IB_QP1_WELL_KNOWN_Q_KEY);
>>> So, the SL is the same like the one which was used by the OMPI process. The
>>> Q_Key matches the Q_key on the OMPI process, and remote_qp and dest_lid is
>>> correct, too.
>>> Afterwards umad_send(…) is used to send the reply with the PathRecord, and
>>> this send does not work (except for SL=0).
>>
>> By not working, what do you mean ? Do you mean it's not received at the
>> requester with no message in the OpenSM log or not received at the
>> OpenSM or something else ? It could be due to the wrong SL being used in
>> the original request (forcing it to SL 1). That could cause it not to be
>> received at the SM or the response not to make it back to the requester
>> from the SA if the SL used is not "reversible".
> By "not working" I mean, that the MPI process does not receive any response
> from the SA.
> I get messages from the MPI process like the following:
> [rc011][[14851,1],1][connect/btl_openib_connect_sl.c:301:get_pathrecord_info]
> No response from SA after 20 retries
> The log of OpenSM shows that the SA received the PathRequest query, dumps the
> query into the log, and sends the reply back.
> And I think I was some messages in the log about "…1 outstanding MAD…".
>>
>>> If I look into the MAD before it is send, then it looks like this:
>>> Breakpoint 2, umad_send (fd=9, agentid=2, umad=0x7fffe8012530, length=120,
>>> timeout_ms=0, retries=3)
>>>    at src/umad.c:791
>>> 791             if (umaddebug > 1)
>>> (gdb) p *mad
>>> $1 = {agent_id = 2, status = 0, timeout_ms = 0, retries = 3, length = 0,
>>> addr = {qpn = 1325427712, qkey = 384,
>>>    lid = 4096, sl = 6 '\006', path_bits = 0 '\000', grh_present = 0 '\000',
>>> gid_index = 0 '\000',
>>>    hop_limit = 0 '\000', traffic_class = 0 '\000', gid = '\000' <repeats 15
>>> times>, flow_label = 0,
>>>    pkey_index = 0, reserved = "\000\000\000\000\000"}, data =
>>> 0x7fffe8012530 "\002"}
>>
>> Is this the PathRecord query on the OpenMPI side or the response on the
>> OpenSM side ? SL is 6 rather than 1 here.
> This is the response on the OpenSM side (inside the umad_send function, right
> before it is written to the device with write(fd, …).
> SL=6 indicates, that the MPI process was sending the request on SL 6.

What is SMSL for the requester ? Was it SL 6 ?

One would need to walk the SLToVLMappingTables from requester (OMPI
port) to SA and back to see whether SL6 would even have a chance of
working (not dropping) aside from whether it's really the correct SL to use.

-- Hal

>>> The output of OpenMPI or OpenSM's log file don't show any useful
>>> information for this problem, even with higher debug levels.
>>
>> So nothing interesting logged relative to the PathRecord queries ?
> In the OpenSM log, only that it was received, how the request looks like, and
> that it was send back.
> And a few "outstanding MADs" a few lines later in the log.
>>
>>> So, right now I'm stuck, and have no idea if there is an error in the
>>> kernel driver, the HCA firmware or something completely different. Or if
>>> umad_send basically does not support SL>0.
>>> A workaround for the moment is to set the SL in the umad_set_addr_net(...)
>>> call to 0.
>>
>> So SL 0 works between all nodes and SA for querying/responses. Wonder if
>> that's how SMSL is set by DFSSSP.
> No, the SMSL set by DFSSSP is different from 0, I have checked this. In our
> case (OpenSM running on a compute node), it sets the same SL, which is used
for MPI<->MPI traffic, to ensure deadlock freedom.