Jason Gunthorpe <jguntho...@obsidianresearch.com> wrote:

> Can you talk abit about compatibility please? What happens when nodes
> with this patch are on the same network as nodes without it?

The CM on the passive side would send a reject with the reason being
"invalid gid" so this will not go unnoticed.

> Does this patch remove the encoding of the VLAN from the GID?

YES, and I explained in argument #1 why the vlan being there doesn't
work in many environments, in other words, its something that needs to
be fix, and this series addresses that.

> How is the destination MAC derived now?

as it was before, using address resolution, e.g ARPs sent by the RDMA-CM.

> There is a RoCE standard, it doesn't say much, but how the MAC and GRH
> GID are related/derived really should be specified...
>
> Not sure about copying the IP/IPv6 address from the interface into the
> HW, there has always been pressure to keep verbs separate from the net
> stack.. At the very least patch #2 should have its change log updated
> to actually reflect what is in the patch.

Sure, I'll see what needs to be better explained in the change-log.
Note that the inbox RoCE implementation is tightly coupled to
net-devices, e.g the GID table population is based on netevents of
related netdevices.

Or.