On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 00:12:54 -0400
Doug Ledford <dledf...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I think I like my suggestion better: go back to having a full table,
> but use a bitmap to indicate valid entries and then use the bitmap to
> limit our comparisons in the find_cached* functions, and put the
> get_* funtions back to being O(1).  But I would still do that
> incrementally from here I think.
>
> But I'm not totally convinced of that either.  The exact sitiation I
> listed above, lots of GIDs on an SRIOV PF, makes me concerned that we
> can get back to a horrible situation in the find_cached* functions
> once we actually have lots of valid entries.  It makes me think we
> need something better than just a linear search of all valid entries
> when you take SRIOV into account.  Whether hash chains or ranges or
> something to make the lots of valid GIDs case faster, I suspect
> something needs to be done, but because things simply aren't in
> common use yet we don't know it.

Doug, I like your suggestion regarding bitmaps. I would rather hold off
on patch #3, though, because as you say, patches 1 and 2 do most of the
work and the patch #3 optimization won't do much if the GID table is
very populated (which will be the case under SRIOV).

I think what you say is correct, a linear search through a populated
table will be expensive -- and we need to come up with a better
strategy here.

ACK for first 2 patches, please hold off on the third.

-Jack