On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 09:47:43AM +0300, Or Gerlitz wrote:

> >Interesting point. But please note that in any case, when not using
> >scatter/gather we force the allocation of large contiguous physical memory.
>
> On the post you wrote "[...] resolve the issue by removing the physically
> contiguous memory requirement using Scatter/Gather feature that exists in
> Linux".
>
> I assume you refer to NETIF_F_SG, right? so your claim is that Linux will not
> effectively use the driver ability to serve SG skbs unless the driver also
> advertizes (say) NETIF_F_IP_CSUM?!
>
> I thought it's the other way around -- that is supporting checksum offloading
> is useless unless SG is supported. Can you provide pointer into the network
> stack code/documentation that supports your claim?
> Or.
While porting the patch to latest kernel i have learned that this limitation is
no longer exist.
The limitation i was talking about was in older versions of the function
netdev_fix_features().
        /* Fix illegal SG+CSUM combinations. */
        if ((features & NETIF_F_SG) &&
            !(features & NETIF_F_ALL_CSUM)) {
                netdev_dbg(dev,
                        "Dropping NETIF_F_SG since no checksum feature.\n");
                features &= ~NETIF_F_SG;
        }
Now, with the removal of this limitation the argument of "...In order to use
SG....IPoIB-CM must support IP checksum offload" is no longer applicable.
We now left with the performance benefit argument only, can we ignore the
performance improvement achieved by eliminating the need to calculate checksum
in SW?