> On 11/6/2014 5:06 PM, ira.we...@intel.com wrote:
> > From: Ira Weiny <ira.we...@intel.com>
> >
> > ib_build_node_desc - prints src node description into dest while
> > mapping format specifiers
> >
> > Specifiers supported:
> > %h system hostname
> > %d device name
> >
> > Define a default Node Description format to be "%h %d"
>
> There are a lot of Node Description schemes in use in the field currently. New
> format needs to be made as unlikely as possible to interfere with those. So
> perhaps H:%h D:%d ?

What I am proposing was generally agreed upon to be a reasonable default in
this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org/msg07295.html

Furthermore RHEL 6.4 has started to use this naming scheme in their rdma start
up script as was proposed and agreed upon by Doug Ledford in this thread:

https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org/msg11282.html

> Also, in order to support such installations, whether or not to use this
> format
> should be configurable.

It is configurable.  You can overwrite the node_desc field anyway you want just
as before and no current user space software needs to change if a user has
customizations there.

What is nice about this addition is that _if_ the user does _not_ have
customizations the defaults are, IMHO, much more usable "by default".

-- Ira