> > The RoCE Verbs interface references the HCA GID table in QPs and AHs,
> > for all RoCE versions.
>
> The IBTA specifically does not define software interfaces.  The concern here
> is
> the architecture and definition of the linux rdma software stack, not verbs,
> despite the fact that the layer is named that.

Whatever.
The ib_* API is the Linux implementation for IBTA Verbs (both Infiniband and
RoCE flavors) and iWARP Verbs.
This interface uses a GID table.
In this patch-set, there is no conceptual change in this regard.
It adds GID types, as stated by the RoCE specification, which is a natural
extension to the existing code.
I am sure that we can consider additional changes in the future, but one
patch-set at a time...

> > As I said earlier, the network layer (e.g., IPv4, IPv6, or GRH) cannot
> > be a port attribute because RoCE HCAs support all of them over the
> > same physical port.
>
> IMO, the architecture needs to change to support multiple network and
> transport layers over the same link layer.  The current restriction of 1
> "transport" per port is too restrictive, and doesn't seem to be true even for
> current devices, like usnic.

usnic uses UDP transport.
Infiniband and RoCE use the IB transport (all the BTH+ header stuff as defined
by IBTA).
iWARP uses IETF defined protocols over TCP, namely RDMAP+DDP+MPA.

I am not aware of any device that mixes these transports today.
If we ever see such a need in the future, let's talk again. Currently, this is
irrelevant.