On 07/30/2015 01:09 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 12:59:30PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

>>> Eh? V6 corrupts random kernel memory if you use the hot-removal.
>>
>> I didn't see that in there.  Did I read through the discussion too fast?
>>  I'll go recheck...
>
> For a char device you absolutely cannot kfree the cdev in the file
> release callback.
>
> The file still holds a ref on cdev and it will guarenteed use
> after-free on cdev during core code struct file cleanup.

OK, I see what happened.  The early discussion for patch 3/5 (the
problem patch) happened on list without me on Cc:, only the last few
messages had me on Cc:.  The net result is that I had seen yours and
Or's responses in my Inbox some weeks ago and that had leaked out of my
head, and what was in my linux-rdma folder didn't have those messages,
so when I read through this thread there, it was missing part of that
context.  When I re-read it via patchworks, all of the messages were in
one place.

Yishai, I currently have this code in my tree, but I'm going to cull it
and wait for a v7 that fixes this problem.  Please move that forward if
you want to make 4.3.

--
Doug Ledford <dledf...@redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: 0E572FDD