On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 10:14:06PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:

> >> Yes.  I get that.  And I understand that.  But because of Lustre, you
> >> have made a global policy that effects all staging drivers without
> >> legitimate cause, proudly broadcast that policy at a conference, even
> >> answered a question from Christoph confirming that policy, and now in
> >> this email thread where I object to that policy you say "It doesn't
> >> really happen anyway, don't worry about it.'
> >
> > No, it's not "because" of lustre, it's been that way since day one when
> > we started the staging tree.  Christoph was just annoyed that someone
> > was trying to tell him otherwise.  And he is right.
>
> No, he's not.  As I've already pointed out, the policy is only
> appropriate for neglected drivers.

No, it's appropriate for all of drivers/staging/ and was what I ensured
the rest of the kernel community when I created it many years ago.

> I don't care if the policy was applied to everything in staging,
> whether neglected or not, from day one.  It was evidently bad from the
> beginning.  I'm calling it out.  I've even provided justification for
> calling it out.

And I disagree, sorry.  And as maintainer of this portion of the kernel,
I don't want to go back on my word to the rest of the kernel community,
that would be rude.

> So far, your only response has been "That's the way it's always been,
> and that's the way it is", which does nothing to justify the status quo
> but stands only to argue that it is the status quo and therefore should
> remain such.  Inertia is a poor argument.

My argument is, "No kernel developer should care about what is in
drivers/staging/ as it is obviously code that is not in a mergable
state, otherwise it would not be in this location."  Now yes, we have
started to use it to delete drivers, but that's now not really a good
idea (see my other email about that.)

If your code was in mergable state, then please take it out of staging
now, but from what I have seen, that is not the case, so it needs to
live here until it can get cleaned up properly.

> >> But the person who quoted
> >> you (Christoph) is the author of one of the API changes that *did* break
> >> the RDMA drivers in the staging tree and he fixed them up when I asked
> >> him to.  Christoph then later quoted you and his interaction with you at
> >> conference to indicate he didn't have to.
> >
> > He didn't have to.  He was being nice.
>
> Again, I disagree.

Fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that he had no requirement
to make this change.

> >  That's your job to fix them up
> > if you want the code in staging.
>
> As I pointed out in an earlier email, allowing deprecated drivers to
> simply break defeats the whole purpose of deprecating them in the first
> place.

Then we should just delete them from the tree, that makes things simpler
for everyone involved.

> >> And what I'm telling him, and
> >> you since you are the person he's quoting to justify not fixing up
> >> things, is that I don't care what you say, when it comes to those
> >> drivers that I moved into staging, if he wants me to take his core
> >> patches, then he needs to make sure they don't break those drivers I
> >> moved into staging.
> >
> > Nope, not true.  If you don't like this, I'll gladly just delete the
> > drivers from staging, sorry.
>
> Maybe you should be more clear about your intention here.  Under
> precisely which actions of mine will you resort to retaliatory deletion
> of code, and which code?

If you insist to other kernel developers that they have to fix up code
in drivers/staging/ I will not accept that, and will ask for that code
to be removed as that is not how this portion of the kernel tree works,
sorry.

> >  You don't get a "free ride" in staging at
> > all.
>
> I'm not sure what you are calling a "free ride".  Certainly, if what I
> asked Christoph for is a "free ride", then drivers in the core kernel
> get "free rides" all the time.  As such, I didn't ask for anything
> unusual or out of the ordinary.  Because of the reasons I stated in my
> previous email, I asked for the drivers I moved to staging to be treated
> the same as any other driver would be.  Equal treatment is hardly a
> "free ride".

drivers/staging is not "equal" to the rest of the kernel, I think that
is the misunderstanding here.

hope this helps,

greg k-h