It's because device->mr might not be allocated at all if
always_register=Y, however in this case for all-immediatedata writes
I don't need memory registration and I can use pd->local_dma_lkey.

This hunk prevents a NULL dereference (as I mentioned, device->mr might
not be allocated at all).

I am not sure to follow, but can't you put this fix into a separate
patch to make things more clearer?

I don't know how to split this patch any further. Before this patch in
case always_register=Y we *always registered* and never allocated the
global mr. This patch allows us not to do it ifor all-immediatedata
writes. So in order not to hit a NULL deref we use this conditional.