Hi Florian,

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven
<ge...@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Florian Fainelli <f.faine...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately I don't have a board with multiple PHYs, so I cannot test
>>> that case.
>
> I tried adding a few dummy PHYs in DT, but that didn't work.
>
> So how can we proceed?
>
> I think the only way my patch can cause issues is because some systems
> may rely on EPROBE_DEFER errors being ignored.
>
>>> Does unbinding/rebinding a network driver with multiple PHYs currently
>>> work? Or module unload/reload?
>>
>> Usually there is a strict 1:1 mapping between a network device (not
>> driver) and a PHY device, switch drivers however, would have multiple
>> PHYs (one per port, aka net_deice).
>>
>> NB: binding and unbinding of PHYs is pretty broken at the moment though,
>> because there is a complete disconnect between what the Ethernet MAC
>> expects, and the state in which the PHY is. I had some patches to fix
>> that, but this turned out to be playing whack-a-mole which I typically
>> suck at.
>
> I didn't mean unbinding the PHY, but the network device.
> Don't you have the same issue with the state of PHYs as left by the
> bootloader?

Anyone who can test the behavior on an Ethernet device with multiple PHYs,
e.g. by faking an -EPROBE_DEFER somewhere in the middle?

I'd like to get this issue fixed in v4.13, to avoid a regression when migrating
several systems to a new and better clock driver in v4.14, which will trigger
EPROBE_DEFER.

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert