On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 09:54:04AM +0200, Wolfram Sang wrote:

> > > +       /* Gen3 needs a reset before allowing RXDMA once */
> > > +       if (priv->devtype == I2C_RCAR_GEN3) {
> >
> > So on R-Car Gen3 the device is always reset, even if no reads will be done?
> > Or is that something you cannot check for at this point?
>
> You got a point. I copied the behaviour from the BSP to do this as early
> as possible. Still, it might be worthwhile to merge this into
> rcar_i2c_request_dma() and move the call to it to the front. Will check.

I will apply this patch as is because it is easier to backport to stable
this way.

You are still right, we can do better and not issue a reset any time. To
get there, though, I want two kinds of refactoring beforehand. And I
think it is best to do this on top of this patch and refactor it along.
BSP backporters can then decide if they want the refactored version or
not.