I have found 08:05 to correspond to /dev/sda5, mounted as /usr(Thanks for
the pointer!).

Sda is the single-drive volume
(non-RAID, as it is only for the O/S,
which needs to be speedy and can be pulled from tape easily).

This explains several things:
A/ Why a single error can take an entire volume offline B/ Why the error is
not logged
        If it only took the partition offline,
        it would still have been logged,
        as / is mounted from sda3

And leaves one question:
What caused the error?

There are no GROWN defects on the drive in this volume

---------------
Reference logs:
---------------

Executing: disk show defects (ID=0)
Number of PRIMARY defects on drive: 1912 Number of GROWN defects on drive: 0

Executing: container list
Num          Total  Oth Chunk          Scsi   Partition
Label Type   Size   Ctr Size   Usage   B:ID:L Offset:Size
 0    Volume 8.47GB            Open    0:00:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
 /dev/sda             NT
 1    RAID-5 16.9GB       32KB Open    0:01:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
 /dev/sdb             DATA             0:02:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
                                       ?:??:?  - Missing - Mount points it
to:
# /dev/sda5             5.3G  1.5G  3.6G  30% /usr