On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, James Bottomley wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 13:58 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > I'd love to do that -- but blkdev_ioctl() wants inode->i_bdev to be set,
> > and blkdev_locked_ioctl() uses it as the argument to bdev_get_queue().  So
> > it won't work with sg, which uses character device nodes.
>
> Well, even sg has the queue ... and what we're looking for are the queue
> parameters.  In block/ioctl.c the bdev is just used for getting the
> queue parameters (mainly via bdev->bd_disk->queue), so I could see if
> Jens might be amenable to refactoring the queue ioctls so we can get at
> them simply with a struct request_queue parameter.
>
> > How about adding BLKSECTGET to the list of commands accepted by
> > sg_ioctl()?
>
> That's certainly a possible hack ... although I'd prefer to see the full
> queue ioctls exposed.

James:

Back in December you wrote a patch to expose the queue ioctls, and sent it
(off-list) to Jens Axboe and to me.  Jens spproved it, but then it
disappeared and was never applied.  Unfortunately I have lost my copy of
it.

If you still have the patch, could you please apply it?  If you don't, I
could try to re-create it.  Or maybe Jens still has it in his email
records.  Either way, please let me know.

Alan Stern