I have a dual Opteron Tyan MB (S2885) with 4 PCI-X slots.
The 2 first slots can work up to 100 MHz, the last 2 up to 66 MHz.

I have 2 PCI-X Adaptec SCSI controllers: 29160 and 39320A.
A SCSI disk is connected to port A on the 39320A.

When I mount the 39320A in any of the 4 slots the system hangs
after a few seconds (with no error messages in syslog) when I
copy a directory with many files to the SCIS disk.

However, when I mount both controllers in either slots 1 and 2
or slots 3 and 4 I can copy 25GB of files without any hang-up.

I need some help to figure this out. It is a mystery to me.

2.6.22-2mdv #1 SMP Mon Jul 23 17:24:30 CEST 2007 x86_64 AMD Opteron(tm)
Processor 244 GNU/Linux

I do not wish to clutter this mail with random listings,
but I can supply output if somebody can tell me what is needed.

Bjarne Thomsen