Uh, although this may work very well for small constrained configs, as one
who debugs larger environments (and things always grow or get connected in
ways you don't expect), depending on a random number for uniqueness makes
me very unsettled. Debugging that small-percentage potential, when/if it
does occur can be an absolute nightmare with all kinds of weird behavior.
Rarely will you solve it from the context of a single server. There are
lots of ways to cheat, but I believe they all have to be based on some
small part that is guaranteed to be unique (like the IEEE id's).

-- james s

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Is there an accepted way to generate a SAS address, when the adapter does not supply one (NVRAM invalid or missing, etc.)?

Unless somebody complains, I was just planning to use get_random_bytes(). But maybe Linux has an IEEE id we can use, to make the practice a bit more legitimate and avoid stomping on others? Or an IEEE id specifically designed for generated-address purposes?

    Jeff