Michael Reed wrote:

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Luben Tuikov wrote:
Do you mean:
  "The admin will have the option to SPECIFY(SET) a WWN, should they
so    desire."
OR do you mean:
  "The admin will have the option to HAVE THE KERNEL auto-generate a WWN,
   should they so desire."
Both.  It is up to admin policy to decide if they wish to use the
available board's WWN (if present/valid), manually apportion WWNs, or
whether the kernel's generation algo is fine with them.

Could the reassignment of a board's WWN present any security issues?
A board which is allowed to access only some targets is now allowed to
access others.  I would assume that most sites that care about security
would have other measures in place to guard against this, but it's still
worth pondering.

Well, at that point the admin has made a conscious decision to deviate from the norm, either for site-specific reasons or for getting-his-hardware-working reasons. So we assume the admin who made a proactive step in this direction knows what he is doing.

Just like the rest of Linux, we just give you the rope...  :)

        Jeff