As reported here:

        http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=119645761124683&w=4

against 24-rc3-mm2, I'm still seeing the hang on my HP ia64 NUMA
platform under 24-rc4-mm1 with async scsi scan enabled.  I'm still
seeing the message  "mptspi: ioc#: mpt_config failed" when it hangs.

I can boot by disabling async scan.  However, I've also noticed some
disks attached via one of the "mpt" adapters ["scsi8" in console long in
message linked above] going "off-line" during stress tests.  This was
under 24-rc3-mm2.  Haven't got that far yet with 24-rc4-mm1.

Regards,
Lee