On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:52:50PM +0200, Bj??rn Mork wrote:
> <sreekanth.re...@lsi.com> writes:
> > > This patch contains MPI API headers
> >
> > Why can't this and the other headers be shared between the mpt2sas and
> > mpt3sas drivers?  Looks like you are duplicating a lot of code already
> > present in drivers/scsi/mpt2sas.  Why?  That's a recipe for maintenance
> > hell...
>
> I would go further and ask why this needs a new driver; why can't mpt2sas
> be enhanced to drive the 12Gbit cards?

A deliberate choice was made to keep the mpt3sas separate from mpt2sas due to
our 6 GIG product being truly mature with a noticeable ramping down of
enhancements/releases.

mpt3sas is at it's initial baseline with a healthy roadmap ahead.
Architecturally there will be changes to the headers that will be only mpt3sas
specific. Another reason to keep the source separate.

The mpt3sas release schedules is on a faster cadence than mpt2sas so keeping
the source aligned is problematic.

--
Regards,
Nagalakshmi