On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Hannes Reinecke <h...@suse.de> wrote:
> The current error handler still uses a 'target reset' (or, rather, bus
> reset) strategy, although the respective TMF  has been obsoleted since
> SAM-3. SAM-5 defines an I_T nexus loss event instead, which so far has only
> been implemented in libsas.
>
> There has been some discussions on the mailing list, but so far there hasn't
> been any conclusion.
>
> So I would like to discuss a possible implementation of a I_T Nexus loss
> strategy and how to keep compability with SAM-2 targets.

Would this handle the case of a SAS fabric with lots of target
devices, where we start to get errors from a single device while IO is
proceeding fine to everything else on the fabric?  It would be really
nice if the Linux stack handled this without escalating to a target
reset and host reset, since that disrupts all the IO that is
proceeding fine (and which won't do much to fix a target drive that
might really be dead).

 - R.