>>>>> "James" == James Bottomley <james.bottom...@hansenpartnership.com> writes:

James> I'm fairly ambivalent, except not force.  The default behaviour
James> is to do the mode select, so force seems to imply that as well,
James> except it won't.  I don't see a difference between assume and
James> temporary.

I'm ok with your patch. And a strong believer in not altering the
SYNCHRONIZE CACHE behavior that's been rigorously tested in the field by
adding SYNC_NV to the mix.

James> Not really ... given T10s deprecation I don't think we want to
James> touch anything to do with SYNC_NV because it just adds to the
James> uncertainty about what will actually happen.

Yep.

James> Giving the ability to control WCE (and RCD) fixes all the
James> problems raised so far.

If there are devices that would truly benefit from SYNC_NV we could add
a sync_nv parameter to scsi_disk's sysfs that could be used to set that
bit when issuing flush_cmnd.

But it would be something we would do manually on a per-device basis and
not something that is automatically keyed off of NV_SUP (SYNC_NV doesn't
require NV_SUP, btw., so that's not even a valid check).

--
Martin K. Petersen      Oracle Linux Engineering