On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 14:53 +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> Changing the state of a SCSI device via sysfs into "cancel" or
> "deleted" prevents removal of these devices by scsi_remove_host().
> Hence do not allow this. Also, introduce the symbolic name
> INVALID_SDEV_STATE, representing a value different from any valid
> SCSI device state. Update scsi_device_set_state() such that gcc
> does not issue a warning about an enumeration value not being
> handled inside a switch statement.

zero is the invalid state, that's why the SDEV_ states start at 1.
Using a bare zero also means that gcc doesn't have to consider it in the
switch statement, so there's no need to introduce a new one.

If we want to try to babysit user initiated state changes, then it looks
like OFFLINE<->RUNNING might be the only useful ones?

James