On Mon, 1 July 2013 19:23:25 +0000, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 13:44 -0400, Jörn Engel wrote:
> > If a single device is bad, don't ever do a host
> > reset.
>
> This isn't a tenable position.  Sometimes a device looks bad because the
> host state for it has gone insane.  At that point, the only safe action
> is a reset of the host to sane state.
>
> I could be persuaded that you should never do the transport equivalent
> of a bus reset (on non-SPI transports, at least), which is actually hard
> to do on some of the modern transports, but I don't think you can get
> away without having a host reset in the eh arsenal.

Fair enough.  Hardware being hardware and hardware bugs being hard to
fix, I see your point.

However, we shouldn't screw the poor user who has paid a premium for a
second HBA to get some redundancy and reset both of them at the same
time.  That would, you know, defeat the redundancy. ;)

Jörn

--
A victorious army first wins and then seeks battle.
-- Sun Tzu