On 05/20/14 09:32, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 05/19/14 18:43, Bart Van Assche wrote:

>>> That's not enough, unless I'm missing something.  Say the request
>>> handler claims the request and the abort handler doesn't:
>>>
>>> - the request handler calls scsi_done and ends up in scsi_finish_command.
>>>
>>> - the abort handler will return SUCCESS, and scmd_eh_abort_handler then
>>> calls scsi_finish_command.
>>
>> It depends on how the SCSI abort handler gets invoked. If the SCSI abort
>> handler gets invoked because a SCSI command timed out that means that
>> the block layer has already detected a timeout and also that the
>> REQ_ATOM_COMPLETE bit has already been set. In this scenario if a SCSI
>> LLD invokes scsi_done() that causes blk_complete_request() to return
>> without invoking __blk_complete_request() and hence without invoking
>> scsi_softirq_done().
>
> (replying to my own e-mail)
>
> Please note that scsi_eh_abort_cmds() neither checks nor sets the
> REQ_ATOM_COMPLETE bit before it invokes hostt->eh_abort_handler(). Would
> it make sense to modify that function such that it invokes
> blk_abort_request() instead ? That last function atomically
> test-and-sets the REQ_ATOM_COMPLETE bit before invoking the timeout handler.

(answering my own question)

REQ_ATOM_COMPLETE is already set before scsi_eh_scmd_add() is called
since that function is only invoked after the block layer has marked a
request as "complete". The only callers of scsi_eh_scmd_add() are
scsi_softirq_done(), scsi_times_out() and scmd_eh_abort_handler(). That
last function is invoked (indirectly) by scsi_times_out().

Bart.