Il 27/05/2014 13:26, James Bottomley ha scritto:
You could use a different mechanism than a softirq to tell the abort
were successful, for example by overriding scsi_done.  But with respect
to the block layer, the mechanics of avoiding the race and double-free
would probably be the same.

I think there's some confusion about what the race and double free is:
It only occurs with timeouts.  In a timeout situation, the host had
decided it's not waiting any longer for the target to respond and
proceeds to error recovery.  At any time between the host making this
decision up to the point it kicks the target hard enough to clear all
in-flight commands, the target may return the command.  If we didn't
have some ignore function on command completions while we're handling
errors, this would lead to double completion.

If we decided to allow arbitrary aborts of running commands, we would
send a TMF in during the normal (i.e. un timed out) command period.
Because there's no timeout involved, there's no double free problem.
The race in this case is whether the abort catches the command or not
and to mediate that race we need the normal status return.

I'm not sure why "no timeout" implies "no double free". There would still be a race between the interrupt handler and softirq on one side, and the abort handler on the other. The interrupt handler's call to cmd->scsi_done ends up triggering the softirq and thus freeing the command with scsi_put_command. The abort handler, as you mentioned, wants the status return so it needs the interrupt handler to run---but not the softirq.

A simple way to avoid this could be to skip the softirq processing, by marking the request block-layer-complete, and do everything in the abort handler. The interrupt handler would still run and fill in the status.

Paolo