While tape stats were being implemented in the kernel I started working
on a program that would read them out and display the data to allow me
to test the interface. After the changes were available in linux-next
I worked with the upstream sysstat maintainer to get that code into shape
so it was suitable for inclusion into sysstat. The latest version of
sysstat on github now contains the tapestat command:

https://github.com/sysstat/sysstat

New tarballs will be available from the sysstat homepage soon.

Some example output (this is the only format) while using the dd command
to copy a tape from a slow tape drive to a fast one (DDS to LTO):

Tape:    r/s     w/s   kB_read/s   kB_wrtn/s %Rd %Wr %Oa    Rs/s    Ot/s
st0        0     523           0        5230   0  14  14       0       0
st1      523       0        5230           0  83   0  83       0       0

Tape:    r/s     w/s   kB_read/s   kB_wrtn/s %Rd %Wr %Oa    Rs/s    Ot/s
st0        0     406           0        4060   0  11  11       0       0
st1      406       0        4060           0  86   0  86       0       0

Tape:    r/s     w/s   kB_read/s   kB_wrtn/s %Rd %Wr %Oa    Rs/s    Ot/s
st0        0     318           0        3181   0   8   8       0       0
st1      318       0        3182           0  90   0  90       0       0

I want to thank everyone who provided advice, feedback, or helped me get
tape stats to this point - especially Sebastien who was a pleasure to work
with.

Thanks
Shane