On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 03:22:04PM -0500, Ewan Milne wrote:

[...]

> ---
>
> In other words, this commit made the bad behavior go away in 4.8.
> Need to look at this in more detail, it doesn't appear as if this patch
> was intended to fix such a problem.
>
> -Ewan

Are you sure it did? I can repropduce copy_to_user() errors with 4.8 as well.
Using the very same reproducer. On 4.8 it's just harder to trigger and
doesn't trigger on AHCI as fas as I can telli (maybe I just haven't hit
it hard enough). I can trigger it on QEMUs SCSI CDROM emulation and hpsa
though. I cannot however trigger this with a minimal config inside an initrd.

Here's my test:

--- 8< ---
#!/bin/sh

cleanup()
{
        rm -f expect.txt
        rm -f test.txt
}

trap cleanup EXIT INT

./sg_mmap_read -d /dev/sg0 -l 0 | od -x > expect.txt

for i in $(seq 1 5000); do
        ./sg_mmap_read -d /dev/sg0 -l 0 | od -x > test.txt
        diff expect.txt test.txt > /dev/null
        if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                echo "FAIL"
                exit 1
        fi
done

echo "PASS"

I added some trace_printk()s to sg.c and try to hunt it down. It'll be good to
know if anyone of you can reproduce it with the above script as well.

Byte,
        Johannes
--
Johannes Thumshirn                                          Storage
jthumsh...@suse.de                                +49 911 74053 689