On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Stephen  Bates <sba...@raithlin.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, this makes sense I think we really just want to distinguish host
>>> memory or not in terms of the dev_pagemap type.
>>
>>> I would like to see mutually exclusive flags for host memory (or not) and
>>> persistence (or not).
>>>

>> Why persistence? It has zero meaning to the mm.
>
> I like the idea of having properties of the memory in one place.

We do have memory type data in the global iomem_resource tree, see
IORES_DESC_PERSISTENT_MEMORY.

> While mm might not use persistence today it may make use certain things that
> persistence implies (like finite endurance and/or higher write latency) in
> the future.

A persistence flag does not convey endurance or latency information.

> Also the persistence of the memory must have issues for mm security?

Not for the mm, data at rest security might be a property of the
device, but that's not the mm's concern.

>Again not addressed today but useful in the future.

Maybe, but to me "Useful for the future" == "don't add it to the
kernel until that future arrives".

> In addition I am not sure where else would be an appropriate place to put
> something like a persistence property flag. I know the NVDIMM section of the
> kernel uses things like NFIT to describe properties of the memory but we
> don’t yet (to my knowledge) have something similar for IO memory.

Do the IORES_DESC flags give you what you need?