Hi,

since kernel 4.11 (sorry it took so long to report) I have a box failing to
boot with a NULL pointer dereference (the box is stuck there afterwards).

The bug has also been reported to the Debian BTS (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=882414) and a suggestion to revert 90965761 has been
made. I can confirm it fix the boot issue.

I don't have the complete stack trace at hand but there's an example in the
Debian bug. The machine is a Dell Precision T5600 with the following SATA
controllers:

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SATA
AHCI Controller (rev 05)
05:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Intel Corporation C602 chipset 4-Port
SATA Storage Control Unit (rev 05)

If you need more information or need me to test something, please ask.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis