Kashyap,

> AMD EPYC is not efficient w.r.t QPI transaction.
[...]
> Same test on Intel architecture provides better result

Heuristics are always hard.

However, you are making assumptions based on observed performance of
current Intel offerings vs. current AMD offerings. This results in what
is inevitably going to be a short-lived heuristic in the kernel. Things
could easily be reversed in next generation platforms from these
vendors.

So while I appreciate that the logic works given the machines you are
currently testing, I think CPU manufacturer is a horrible heuristic. You
are stating "This will be the right choice for all future processors
manufactured by Intel". That's a bit of a leap of faith.

Instead of predicting the future I prefer to make decisions based on
things we know. Measured negative impact on current EPYC family, for
instance. That's a fairly well-defined and narrow scope.

That said, I am still not a big fan of platform-specific tweaks in
drivers. While I prefer the kernel to do the right thing out of the box,
I think the module parameter is probably the better choice in this case.

--
Martin K. Petersen      Oracle Linux Engineering