On Sunday 11 November 2007 5:34:27 pm James Morris wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Paul Moore wrote:
> > +   /* Between selinux_compat_net and selinux_policycap_netpeer this is
> > +    * starting to get a bit messy - we need to setup a timetable for
> > +    * deprecating some of this old/obsolete functionality so we can
> > +    * reclaim some level of sanity in this function. */
>
> I don't think we can do anything which could potentially break userspace
> now.

Yeah, I've already had one very long day as a result of that, I'm not in any
hurry to do that again :)

On a serious note, I thought we could remove specific features after a certain
period of time, i.e. Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt?  My thought
is that eventually we can at least remove compat_net, or is that too drastic?

> So, this one really needs to be right :-)

Yeah, this is the one thing that still worries me and one of the main reasons
I keep pushing RFC patches so often.

Personally, I'm still a little frustrated at how ugly that function looks.
I'm debating putting a check near the top to see if any of
the "compatibility" flags are set, meaning an older policy, and if it is just
handing off control to a compat function which handles all the ugliness.
There might be some duplication of code but the sock_rcv_skb() function would
be _much_ cleaner and faster in the "current policy" case.

Actually, I think I just talked myself into it ...

--
paul moore
linux security @ hp