On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Please don't introduce a special case for just nfs.  All filesystems
> should control their mount options, so please provide some library
> helpers for context= handling and move it into all filesystems that
> can support selinux.

It's not so much a special case for NFS, just that NFS happens to use
binary mount options.  So, I guess it could be put into a library for
other potential filesystems with binary mount options.

To clarify:

The SELinux options are indeed filesystem independent, and the FS should
really not need to be concerned at all with them.  For everything except
NFS, we parse text options looking for context=, then use that value from
within SELinux as the label for all files in the mount.

Previously, as Eric mentions, we were using a method initially approved by
the NFS folk, where, for NFS, SELinux was peeking around inside the binary
options.  We were then asked to change that so that NFS (or other
binary-option FS) would obtain the values itself and call into LSM with
them.  This is what Eric's latest patch enables (a previous patch
installed the infrastructure for it).

While this code could be put into a library if desired, there is no need
to make any changes for filesystems with text options (i.e. the general
case).

- James
--
James Morris