On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Mark D. Baushke <m...@juniper.net> wrote:
> Dmitry Kasatkin <dmitry.kasat...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Mimi Zohar <zo...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>> wrote:
>> What I just ask is when we can get concurrent writers?
>>
>> I think system is updated by updating image or packages.
>
> Accretion of new packages and or updating those new packages is one
> thing that a delegated tenant may choose to do.
>
>> In the first case policy update comes with the new image and loaded on
>> reboot.
>
> The hope is that the reboot will never NEED to happen, but may always be
> scheduled and planned well ahead of time.
>
> Some boxes may get a schedule to do a PM on the hardware, which is all
> hot-swapable redundant hardware. Barring upgrades for new features, it
> may be expected that a stable system could be running without the entire
> system being rebooted for multiple years.
>
> When the intent is high availability, a five nines means that the box
> may onely be unavailable for .001% of the time, which translates to 5.26
> minutes per year. Granted, a scheduled outage does not count against
> that time, but given how much work these devices are supposed to be
> doing, taking them offline for a few minutes to reboot can lose a lot of
> money.
>
>> in the second case, keys, policy and software comes with packages.
>> Before new software (signed with new key) can be used, keys and policy
>> needs to be loaded.
>> The order is important - first keys, policy, then software can be
>> installed and used.
>>
>> Packages are usually installed in ordered manner (not concurrently).
>
> Actually, it is entirely possible that an administrator will kick off
> multiple concurrent operations to help minimize the downtime that a
> system may have for a big upgrade.

Hi,

I understand your point, though this usually not the case in reality.
When system updates rolled out, they are tested that nothing breaks
along update process.
So I do not think that multiple concurrent updates will usually happen.
Update process must be reproducible and reliable.

But this so minor thing and as you said it makes it a bit "user-space"
friendlier, so there is no point to resist ;)

BR, Dmitry

--
Thanks,
Dmitry