On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Rajiv Ghai wrote:

|My isp has more than one dial-up number (infact around 20 phone numbers
|which are mostly busy).Can I configure pppd to dial them automatically in
|sequence until a connection is established. I am using a standalone linux
|box running RH 6.0 using demand dialing. Is there a standard Chat or other
|script for this problem ?

Don't know of any standard script, but here's a shell script that might get
you started:

while read number; do
  export NUMBER=$number
  **pppd command with chat script to dial $NUMBER**
  code=$?   # Get the return code for pppd
  if [ "$code" = "0" ]; then break; fi
  sleep 10  # May not be needed
done < /etc/ppp/isp-numbers

The phone numbers are put in the file /etc/ppp/isp-numbers:

xxx-xxxx
xxx-xxxx
xxx-xxxx
.
.
.

---
Clifford Kite                                               Not a guru. (tm)

-