> I would need to look at the code to be sure but
> CTS and CD have special functions for flow control
> and hangup/connect detection that may be altering
> the driver behavior from what you expect.

DCD doesn't have any meaning, unless you set CLOCAL. In this context, DCD
would be used as a logic signal.  When its low, the kernel blocks
open()'s/close()'s/write()'s/read()'s. (And if HUPCL is set, a transition
to DCD *LOW* will send kill -HUP to any processes attached to the port.)

CTS doesn't have any meaning, unless you set CRTSCTS.

In this context, CTS would be used as a logic signal. when its low, no
data transmits.

By default, CLOCAL nor CRTSCTS are set.

 Therefore...

 Chad