Hi!

I´m making my first steps in writing software for serial devices.
There are some steps described in the documentation of the device I´m
programming for and I dont know how to implement them.
Her is the excerpt from the documentation:

C.  Steps in Subroutine Beta:  Feed in Data Details
Step  1  Begin.
Step  2  Confirm Relative mode.
         If yes, counter is loaded with 3.
         If no, counter is loaded with 5.
Step  3  Confirm Remote Request mode.
         If yes, the Trigger command is sent and proceed Step 4.
         If no, on with Step 4.
Step  4  Status register is checked.
Step  5  Confirm if byte is available.
         If yes, go on to Step 6.
         If no, return to Step 4.
Step  6  Byte is read from communication port.
Step  7  Byte is stored.
Step  8  Counter is decremented.
Step  9  Confirm that counter equals 0.
         If yes, go on to Step 10.
         If no, return to Step 4 and proceed again.
Step 10  Return.

My question is how do I achieve steps 4 and 5?

Additionally, I´d be thankful if someone could point me to useful
documentation for such questions, so I don´t have to border you
again with that ;-)

TIA

-