[...]
>Unfortunately, it doesn't work.  I now see messages during the init
>telling me that /dev/ttyS0 does not exist.  In spite of the fact that
>I can see /dev/ttyS0 when I do an ls.  The permissions showed as
>crw-------, which I changed to crw-rw-rw-, to no avail.

Can you see the devices during boot, something like:
  Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
  ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450

Are the major and minor numbers 4 and 64, respectively?
crw--w--w-   1 root     root       4,  64 Feb 23 14:41 /dev/ttyS0

-Jason

--
          Jason D. White              http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jdwhite
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]              'finger' for other information

-