Actully lawson your origninal suggestion was wrong.
I checked my source and what I had coded was
correct.

I rebooted my box with box devices (serial & ps2)
in place and linux detected the new hw. It asked
if i wanted it configured and I clicked on ok. Before
the boot i also went into the bios and forced the
com ports to be enabled.  The code worked first time
after that.  The upshot is that it was configuration
problem more than a coding problem.

Thanks again and sorry to bug you guys,
-mya

-