On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Shourya Sarcar wrote:

>       is it possible to design some kind of a loopback on the serial port so
> that i can send out a message and read _that_  back using the serial port ?
> i want to write a communicating s/w for a 8085 microprocessor but since i do
> not  have a 8085 with me now , i want to simulate that.

For DB25:

        TxD 2  --\
        RxD 3  --/

        RTS 4  --\
        CTS 5  --/

        DSR 6  --\
        DCD 8  --|
        DTR 20 --/

For DB9:

        DCD 1  --\
        DTR 4  --|
        DSR 6  --/

        RxD 2  --\
        TxD 3  --/

        RTS 7  --\
        CTS 8  --/

NOTES:
1. If you don't need control signals, just the TxD / RxD connection will
   work fine.
2. Almost all UARTs are configurable to local (internal) loopback mode. I
   just don't know whether all drivers provide this functionality to a
   userspace app. Therefore, you might be better off doing the external
   loopback connector, as it's hardware-independent.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ivan

-